Friday, January 25, 2013

We should be singing

Just before I began to type this, my triplet daughter, Hope, spent 15 minutes straight playing her toy guitar and singing hymns and Bible choruses -- every single one she knew. She was in the other room, unaware that anyone was listening. She just sings and sings. It melted my heart and made me think. Just as she sang the verse "God answers prayer..." in the song "God is so Good," it hit me. I never sing aloud anymore. I don't "shout to the Lord" like I should.

The book of Psalms is filled with songs of praise. Why don't we sing? Maybe our voices aren't so good. I know that is how I feel. My husband is this magnificent singer. My daughters all sing with him from time to time. So when he told me -- not asked -- told me we were singing as a family on Christmas Eve at church, I froze. Me too? Really? On stage? With a microphone?
Long story short, I did it. I stood with a microphone and sang "Away in a Manger" with my talented family. What a blessing. I occasionally sing in the car, but not like I used to. I believe the enemy likes to shut our mouths of praise and convince us we don't need to speak or sing aloud the Lord's praises. But the Lord delights in them! Verse 4 or Psalm 149 says it : "For the Lord takes delight in his people;he crowns the humble with victory." He knows when we sing from our hearts -- not to be heard. Much like little Hope.
 So, you know what? I am going to start singing. Maybe not on stage per se, but aloud in my house, in my car...wherever I feel the words tug on my lips. Why not shout to the Lord?
Read Psalm 149.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+149&version=TNIV

No comments:

Post a Comment