Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Spring rains in December

So here it is December and it's pretty warm. The weather man says it could reach 70 degrees. Wow. It feels like spring. A cold front will bring rain later on.
Aw, the rain.
Our family is in the middle of a cloud of rain right now; it hovers like the fog we had this morning. Not really raining, but no sun peeking through either. Will there be a storm? If so, will it be tsunami-size? Or will the sun break through and have mercy on us?

In Deuteronomy 11 we are commanded to love and honor God. Verses 13-15 speak to me so clearly as I wait in the mist and fog...
 "So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today—to love the Lord your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul  then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and olive oil.  I will provide grass in the fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied."
The rains are meant to help us grow. As we sit in this mist and gray we are growing...as the showers begin when I feel tears of anguish and fear, I am growing as I draw nearer to Him. I must obey and not seek answers on my own. Just trust. This is a life-changing thing -- to just trust. And the verses go on to warn me -- and you -- if you can relate to this -- that when we choose to try to run from the fog and rain and build up dams of emotion by seeking other means of escaping God's rain . When we do this we are looking for trouble.
 Verse 16 says --" Be careful, or you will be enticed to turn away and worship other gods and bow down to them." This could be the many ways we seek to cover up our pain -- whether it's a drink or a smoke or food or the internet. For me, when I am depressed I hide in sleep. I want to hide in a dark room, go to sleep and forget it all. But God wakes me often and reminds me I need to draw to Him -- talk to HIM.
Wherever you are with the weather in your world, obey and trust God. Take this time to let HIM be your umbrella and your shelter. He will bring the Son.
Read Deuteronomy Chapter 11 : http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy%2011&version=NIV

1 comment:

  1. Very good Tabitha, lately I have felt that urge to sleep as well. Some struggles lately that I have asked God for help with and I'm just not hearing answers or solutions and it weighs very heavy on my heart. You are not alone please know that, thank you for sharing the scripture in which we can go to, sometimes the last thing I do is look for the scripture because I'm just exhausted of trying to do the right thing all the time. ~Kelly P.

    ReplyDelete